Thursday, January 12, 2012

Our birth story with Olivia!

     First of all I will say that I was induced with Hannah so I've never felt what the start of contractions feel like and because of the induction I didn't know what things to look for, for the onset of labor.
     So with that being said, I had been having contractions for about 2 weeks and I didn't even know that, that is what they were!  All I remembered were the kind of contractions you have when your on Pitocin and those were hardcore compared to these.  I asked the doctor at my 37 week appointment if what I was experiencing when my stomach got really hard was a contraction and he said it could just be the baby balling up, because there was no pain involved just a lot of discomfort when the tightness occurred.  So I figured it wasn't anything to worry about.  I saw a different doctor at my 38 week appointment the Monday before I delivered and he decided to check me for any progress. I'd definitely been having period-like cramps so I figured there would (hopefully) be some sort of progress.  Luckily there was!!! I was 2 cm dilated and that was excellent news!
     I knew that I wanted to make it through my last final and then I'd be able to relax enough and Olivia would/should be here before Christmas, so we could be home with Hannah and eat some delicious home cooked food!
     Wednesday morning came quickly and I got to school to take my final I finished it in about 35 minutes and to my surprise the teacher was able to tell me my grade right away... a 97!!! Woo Hoo! I think that I did my little happy dance out of that building and all the way to my car (haha).
     I called my sister and I was telling her how much I really wished Olivia would come on now since I was completely finished with classes and everything.  I ended up keeping Hannah home from school that day since she was a little under-the-weather with a runny nose and a little cough.  I got to my parents house about 10:30 and I had plans to help my mom and sister finish decorating for Christmas.  I was feeling a little sick to my stomach and so I decided to lay down about 11:15 to try and sleep off that sick feeling.  I finally woke up about 12 and my parents wanted to go get a bite to eat, I decided to go with them although I still wasn't feeling a 100%, I knew eating anything fried would be a bad idea so we headed to 36th Street bakery and got a deli sandwich.  By the time we got to the bakery my contractions were getting stronger and more consistent.  I really didn't have much of an appetite so I nibbled and decided to call Kyle and let him know what was up.
     I told him that I thought I was having contractions and they were getting more consistent he suggested I start counting them.  I honestly didn't feel like doing that because I really wasn't even sure if I was having contractions... There was NO pain!  We got back to my parents house about 1:15 and that is when they seemed to get even more stronger and definitely happening more often! I'm thinking they were probably occurring every 2 to 3 minutes and lasting a good 30 seconds to a minute some were longer.  I called my doctor's office and they told me to come in and the doctor would check me to avoid waiting in the triage for 2 to 4 hours to get admitted/monitored.  Sure enough I was dilated to a 4 and the contractions were getting strong I could still walk and carry on a conversation but my emotions were reeling and I was getting nervous! I mean my baby was going to be here soon!!!!!!!
     I got the hospital and they immediately got me a room asked the necessary questions, stuck an IV in, and had the epidural on its way all before Kyle got there.  Once he arrived he was buzzing with anxiety and his emotions were on high too!  We just weren't expecting it to happen so quickly.  I was having to lay in the bed while waiting on the anesthesiologist to get there which took about an hour and the contractions at that point were getting a lot stronger.  It was getting difficult to just sit on the bed.... He finally got there!!! At that point I was getting nervous because I wasn't mentally aware of the pain of an epidural with Hannah (I was so dopey from being on Stadol) that being aware of the pain was making me nervous!  Honestly, the epidural was the best decision I had made but when I got it the numbing shots were the absolute worst! I jumped and cried like a baby! But once it took affect I was on cloud nine!  The pain was completely gone and I couldn't even feel the contractions! This took place about 4ish.
     Once I got the epidural I was feeling great!  Me, Kyle and Lydia were having a blast chatting away, laughing and honestly having a great time!  The doctor came around 6 (I think) and checked me which sadly there was no change and the contractions began to spread out a little bit.  She decided to break my water and put me on pitocin.  And that really changed things A LOT.  The contractions were back up again and by 8 I had dilated to a 5 or 6 so good news (in my opinion).
     I tried to nap but I was just way to excited I couldn't get any sleep.  About 10 p.m. I started feeling pressure in my bottom... And it was every time one of my contractions would peak.  I figured it was trying to move the baby down into the birth canal.  Kyle was getting a little panicky so he called the nurse she came and told me it was probably the epidural wearing off so she gave me an extra dose and told me to push the medicine button every 10 minutes and by 10:30 if I was still feeling pressure than to call her back if the doctor hadn't been back in yet.  Sure enough the pressure didn't die down any and it was happening with every single contraction.  My sweet husband was too nervous to stand it, he headed to the door to find the nurse... At that same time the doctor came in and she decided to check me!
     She asked me if I felt like pushing... My response was like sure! She then asked me if I remembered how to push?  I responded with I don't know but I can give it a shot!  She had me push through one contraction and said "Yep! You're ready to go!" I asked her if the baby had moved down and she said oh yeah her head is right here! I was so excited! I pushed 4 times and my sweet Olivia was here and screaming her head off!  The doctor immediately put her on my chest and she was perfect!  The nurses then took her and did all the other things like cutting the cord, cleaned her up, did the checks and tests, weighed her, measured her and then she was back in my arms ready to eat! ha! The first time I tried to breastfeed her, she latched right on like she knew what she was supposed to do!
     As long as I waited she was here quicker than it took to actually set up the room for delivery! Not that I am complaining by any means!
     This had to be the best pregnancy and delivery I'd ever expected!  God gave me all I'd literally asked for.  I am more thankful and blessed to have been given such a gift! 

The pictures below are from the hospital... They are mixed up and for some reason I can't get them in the correct order... But I'm sure you get the gist of the events that occurred! :)) 



























No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...