Thursday, April 26, 2012

And 27 Months later

As I was reading my usual email updates from Baby Center, I receive one for Hannah every month and one weekly for Olivia. I am obviously a little behind on Hannah's but I came across this (above paragraph) and I couldn't help but laugh! This is the story of my life now! Hannah LOVES reading (me reading) the same books over and over and O.V.E.R!!!

Your 2-year-old now at 27 months

Five Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree again?! Oh yes. Reading the same book over and over provides a measure of comfort to preschoolers, who see the familiar characters and plot as an oasis in a world full of unknowns. But there are cognitive and language benefits to re-reading, too. Re-reading helps your 2-year-old connect the words he hears with the pictures he sees. This is an important kind of pre-reading that will be a useful skill in a few years when he learns to read. Hearing the same sentences again and again helps him decode grammar. Your child also gets a rush of confidence when you turn the page and he sees the expected next part of the story: "Yes! I knew that was going to happen!"

Let your child choose which book to read. If it's the same old favorite, mask your boredom and read it once again. (Hey, at least most preschooler books aren't terribly long.) He may well want to hear the same story several times in a sitting. Keep a wide variety of books on hand by making frequent library visits; eventually he'll be ready to switch to a new favorite or expand his repertoire.



Currently her favorite books are Emily Works Out and Nutcracker Twinkle Toes... 



Funny thing about Emily Works Out is that she has memorized every other page (at least), sometimes she will surprise me and read "my pages" with me.  I'll have to get this on video because it's too funny!  I'll start out by reading the title, then I'll read the first page "Emily skips down the street..." and she go on with "Dances to the beat" and then the next page I'll read and she'll read the following page.  Such a smart girl!! I can't believe how she has changed in the last 3 months.  It's unbelievable.  I am continuously amazed at her vocabulary and how she has picked up a certain way of saying things.

It's almost like she is having a conversation with herself. 
Like she will say:
  • "No, paci for bed, nite nite only" then she'll say "No, it's not nite nite."
  • Or the other day she had me rolling with laughter because Kyle and I were having a conversation and she all the sudden starts saying, " No talking, no talking, no, don't you do it, don't do it!"
  • Another thing she repeats on a constant basis is Mommy/Daddy but it seems I hear Mommy WAY more lol! But if I don't answer her immediately then her tone gradually gets louder and louder until she is actually yelling MOMMMMMMY!
  • She likes to ask 1932 times "Mamaw/Papaws?" I'll respond with a yes or no (it doesn't matter) she'll ask again "Mommy... Eat?" I'll again respond with a yes or no and then two seconds later she's asking again "Mommy... Mommy, Daddy, Hannah and Olivia's home?" Like I said even if I say yes Hannah we are going there she'll ask again with a different location instead. 
  • Another favorite of hers is when I fix her dinner or we are out to eat she will ask "Mommy... hot?" I'll say no ma'am and she respond  with "Wam?" (warm) I'll say yes Hannah Warm and then right back like she is reassuring herself she'll say "Wam not hot"
  • She is a CHATTER BUG and I adore it
  • Her new favorite song is BINGO she'll sing it not stop and wants it to be played over and over again!
  • I bought the Adele CD and I love it! I listen to it whenever Hannah doesn't HAVE to listen to her kiddie songs and I caught her the other day trying to sing to one of these songs!!!! I just about died! It sounded so strange hearing her sing about setting fire to rain... I couldn't help but laugh hysterically!
  • The other day on our way home from school Kyle and I are having a conversation about something random when Hannah starts off with "No talking, No talking!" She wasn't screaming it or anything it's almost like she was repeating what someone had said.  She says again "No talking! No talking... Don't you do it! Don't! Don't you do it! No talking!" It took me and Kyle a second to figure out if she was talking to us or not.  She wasn't she was just pretending like she was telling some "imaginary person".  She wasn't even looking at us until we turned around and looked at her.  Funny, funny!
I can't believe that my precious baby girl is already 27 months old! I mean wasn't it last week that we were bringing her home from the hospital? Wasn't it just the other day that she cut her first tooth? And didn't she take her first steps yesterday? And to think her 2nd birthday was 3 months ago is mind boggling!  When I ask her for instance if she wants a big girl bed she responds with a shake of her head or when I say Hannah paci's are for babies, are you a baby? She nod meaning that she thinks she is still a baby! I'm perfectly fine if she doesn't want to grow up, because even if shes 30 she'll still be my baby!

My next goal is to get her potty trained so expect some blogs coming up about that! We've tested the waters a little bit by letting her pick out her "big girl" panties and I even put them on her for a couple of hours and unfortunately that must have confused her because she peed in the floor 3 times! YIKES! Looks like lots of messes are in my near future.... Oh boy! I know she has bladder control because sometimes she will go 2 or 3 hours without even peeing in her diaper but it is just getting her to put two and two together.  Wish me us luck!


1 comment:

  1. That is so true. I am pretty sure I read the same book to the same kids almost every single day. If it is not the exact same book it is the same type of book. They love repetition!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...