Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Breastfeeding Pros & Cons

I feel like I can do a post such as this because I've done it both ways.  I have experienced formula feeding and now I have experienced breastfeeding.

Let's start with the Cons shall we?

  • Very painful the first, lets be honest, 8-10 weeks... I tried it with Hannah and that was OUT of the question.  Two hellish weeks were long enough for these ta-tas! With Olivia the pain wasn't quite as severe but I WAS still in pain and there were a few thousand times where I thought "WHY am I doing this?" I still have no idea what made me stick to it...
  • Annoying when you are shopping because come on ladies you can just whip out your boob and latch the baby on.  It would be nice but realistically even though I'm breastfeeding OK I don't particularly care to see another woman's breast. 
  • When you want to feed the baby and attempt to "cover" up.  When your not a pro at it (like myself) the covering up part is actually pretty difficult and can stress you out.  When you're new at it for some reason it's like you have to watch the baby nurse.  Make sure they are latched on right because it can feel like someone pinches/twists/pulls your nip if the babe is latched incorrectly!
  • The dreadful ENGORGEMENT...... It's the most uncomfortable feeling ever!!!!!  Your boobs feel like they have sacks of rice in them or even rocks because your ducts are too full! 
  • If you let yourself get engorged too often then your chances of getting mastitis are hugely increased and I hear that feels close to death with flu like symptoms!!
  • E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G you eat/drink the baby eats/drinks.  So you have to learn the handful of foods that you can afford to stay away from because trust me you don't want a gassy baby. 
  • Because I have decided to breastfeed OK, since I've returned to work I very obviously can't nurse her from work so I have to pump.  BLAHHHHH! This is so aggravating. Period. I have to pump as often as she is eating to keep my milk supply up.  She is eating every 3 hours.  So during an 8 hour day I pump 4 times it takes 15 to 20 minutes a "session".  Not forgetting to mention pumping first thing in the morning and last thing before bed.  But when she can't nurse it is the best relief I can get. 
  • Leaky boobies.... Period.  Yuck! It's actually better now than at the very beginning when my body was trying to adjust to this new idea.  But I refuse to leave the house without breast pads!
  • LOTS and I mean LOTS of blowouts!!!  Yep blowout defined as poopy mess, meaning changing clothes A LOT and that equals triple the laundry. 

I feel like that's a pretty big list of Cons, so I'll shower you with my list of Pros!

  • Great for bonding! If you can see through the pain and sleepless nights then you can endure in a bond like no other.  Knowing that you and you alone can provide the exact nutrients (minus vitamin D) for your baby is a very fulfilling feeling! But I did both and sometimes it doesn't work and formula feeding your baby is the best thing for both of you and your bond!  I finally bonded with Hannah when she turned two months old. 
  • Lessens the time of your baby blues.  Plus if you are breastfeeding it forces you to deal with your baby because you have to feed them.  So you slowly get over it.  I did notice that I experienced the blues with Hannah and OK but it lasted a little longer for Hannah than it did OK.  So I think it depends on your patience levels as well. 
  • No monthly visit of mother nature!!!!!!!!!!!! I have not had a period in 13 months! And I'm loving EVERY. SINGLE. MINUTE. of it!!!!! 
  • Your  baby really learns you.  OK knows exactly the second I grab her vs her daddy or mamaw. 
  • Weight.  I am officially 2 pounds UNDER my prepregnancy weight!  Yes when I got pregnant with OK I weighed 134 and now I'm down to 132!!!  You burn 500 extra calories a day just by breastfeeding/pumping, basically producing the stuff!
  • And the obvious reasons for health.  Our pediatrician doctor pointed out a very good point.  He said we are the only mammals who drink another mammals milk.  Good point. 
  • Breast milk has TONS of antibodies.  It's seriously like the "natural" version of Neosporin.  When they are baby's they tend to rub their little faces A LOT and their nails can feel like razors so scratches are pretty common.  Well, just rub a little milk on that scratch and the next day its gone! 
  • Baby acne is less severe than it is when your baby is on formula.  It's still there but just less severe!
  • Your baby gets a better taste of everything because they do taste the things you eat.  Spices, sweets, salts, and bitter stuff. So, supposedly it makes them a more diverse eater.  Right now OK wants nothing but milk so I'll have to confirm that theory later. 
  • Skin on skin is the happiest your baby feels so you breastfeed them they are constantly touching you.  OK likes rubbing my arm while she nurses.  It's the sweetest gesture.  Like she is comforting me while I comfort her.  Absolutely squeezes my heart. 
  • Risk for obesity is lowered.  Of course they as in doctors are now saying that if you drink a lot of sugary drinks or eat a lot of sweets than you are not helping your baby out at all. Because they will learn to crave sugar.  WHO KNOWS!
  • A great excuse for a time out. If I'm stressed out or in an argument or just want to be "alone" for 10 minutes I just feed OK and take a breather.  Once past the painful period (as stated above) breastfeeding can be VERY relaxing. It supposedly releases endorphins and makes you feel verrrrry relaxed. Sometimes I even doze off a little bit. 
  • Sick less.  OK has been in daycare for 2 months and has only had a bad cold one time!
I could probably list more and I'll try to remember to add to my list as I think of things. 

And I totally understand and respect those who did or do not breastfeed their babies.  It is not something for everyone.  It takes a lot of time and a lot of patience.  And I can remember those two things are the very two things you lack when you have a newborn!  I formula fed Hannah and she did great (once we figured out what worked best for her).  After Hannah I swore that I'd NEVER breastfeed another baby because it was a terrible experience for me.  But when OK came along I did not push myself to do it. I simply said if it works then I'll do it until it doesn't. And so far it's worked for both of us.  And the longer I do the more I come into understanding how mothers get so attached to this.  It's seriously addicting and its something to be proud of because you are the sole provider for your baby.  Hannah turned out more than perfect.  She knew nothing but formula.  She was healthy and happy and she is such a smart little girl.  OK is the same way!

It has to be whatever works for you and your baby.  I know you want to do what's best for your baby but don't forget about yourself too.  Once I quit breastfeeding Hannah I was totally different with her.  She was a THOUSAND times happier with me too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...